The Ultimate Guide to 2014 Web April Fools Pranks
Every April, I put out a list of my favorite April Fools pranks online. This year I’m a bit delayed, because we now operate on Pyongyang time, in order to stay current on the latest North Korean tech news, but here’s the list. Better late than never.
That time we were acquired by Walmart
Google Maps – Pokemon
Google is looking to hire a new Pokemon catcher, but in order to be considered, you need to catch ’em all. Simply open the Google Maps app by April 2nd at 2 AM, and find all of the Pokemon, and you’ll win an interview (in the distant future.
Youtube New Trends – the latest trends to catch on, on the web
NOTE: Type in “Glub Glub water dance” to see the best part of today’s prank.
Learn about the latest viral trends, like “clocking”, and “flash sobbing“.
Hulu released their own fake trailer
Netflix chimed in with a fake series: Rotisserie Chicken
This supposed new netflix production is literally just an hour of a chicken roasting. My favorite prank of the day. Check it out here
Reddit Announced Headit
This looks oddly familiar to a Google Prank from a few years ago. It’s not the first time a prank has been stolen.
Virgin America, Richard Branson, and NEST
This one would be amazing, if it were real. Personal climate control onboard. If only.
David Hasselhof Photobombs – Google +
Your selfies are boring. A new feature by Google Plus allows you to spice them up, by letting David Hasselhoff photobomb your pictures. #hoffsome
Lyft – One-star driver
This one is more just a prank video, than an actual prank on users, but ridesharing service Lyft has unveiled a humorous video where they gave some of their users the most nightmarish rides, just for fun.
Yep. Twitter is releasing a helmet.
And more Selfie Pranks
Everybody seems to love the Selfie pranks this year. It’s the 2014 buzzword.
Chegg- Mastering the Art of the Selfie: A course
Silicon Island – Crowdtilt
FYI. I would totally contribute to this, if it were real.
- CERN (the most badass research lab around, by the way) Switches to Comic Sans font
- IFixit totally copied our prank from last year, and announced they were acquired by Apple
- HTC unveiled the Gluuv, which I would also totally buy
- Samsung unveiled its own glove, Samsung Fingers
- Toshiba released the DiGiT gloves. Not sure who decided on gloves being a thing this year.
- Thinkgeek released a tactical laser necktie
- AirBNB unveiled AirBRB – for those times when you go to the bathroom, and you want to rent your desk out
- Google released “Shelfies”, backgrounds for Gmail. This may or may not be real. Gmail was actually released on April Fools Day
- Google Chrome. Emojify the web.
- Roku unveiled a watch – it reminds me of something I had in 2006
- Microsoft unveiled the Surface 2…Wait. Was that not a joke?