Glitch Report: iphone 4s Contact Shuffle and A Fix
This may be a little late but a friend told me about his 4S losing all of his contacts when he updated to ios 5.0.1. The updates went perfectly for me on my 4.
Here’s the fix for those of you who lost your contacts during the update:
What you need to do to fix this and restore your contacts is restore it to factory settings. Their should be a clean version of the update coming out soon. The good news is Apple averages one mistake per year so you shouldn’t have another major glitch for the rest of your two year agreement if you have the 4S.
Just to be safe Back up your data whether you have a problem or not:
- Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes before attempting to update.
- Back up your pictures which have been known to disappear in this fix. I recommend a free account on the box.net app which gives you 50GB free of picture storage.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
- Select the Summary tab.
- Select the Restore option.
- When prompted to back up your settings before restoring, select the Back Up option (see in the image below). If you have just backed up the device, it is not necessary to create another.
- Select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you (as long as you’ve backed up, you should not have to worry about restoring your iOS device).
- When the restore process has completed, the device restarts and displays the Apple logo while starting up:
After a restore, the iOS device displays the “Connect to iTunes” screen. For updating to iOS 5 or later, follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. For earlier versions of iOS, keep your device connected until the “Connect to iTunes” screen goes away or you see “iPhone is activated.”
- The final step is to restore your device from a previous backup.
- Let Us know below if it worked for you. We tested it and it worked.