Preparing To Move – Part 1
Since the start last November we’ve been using Google’s awesome Blogger service, but at this point we need more customization than they offer, so now we’re beginning to prepare to move to a self- hosted Wordpress.
This is a complicated process because of the platform differences, but we’ve worked it out to a few phases which will be complete by early October.
- Hosting- We bought a new hosting plan from GoDaddy which will soon hold our blog. Why Godaddy? There are literally hundreds of web hosts. We considered about a dozen. Godaddy has competitive pricing and support, and going with the largest provider gives us the biggest guarantee of customer approval and staying power.
- The look and feel- We have a lot of work to do to build a website that’s easier to use, and looks good, and then we have plenty of new goodies to build into the new site.
- Build pages and other new goodies (they’re secret for now).
- Move over content- Redirects, Redirects, Redirects. The permalink structure for WordPress blogs is very different, so we’ve got to either redirect every page or change the structure. This will take some time, and before that we still need to transfer over 300 posts.
- Testing- We’ll probably spend two days testing and perfecting the new site.
- Transfer over the domain- Right now we’re building on a subdomain, but when we have the site ready we’re going to have to transfer it over to our regular domain so that everyone can enjoy the new site.
- A beautiful new look on a more powerful back end. See you then. Until then we’ll still be posting daily on The App Store Chronicle.
|What the new site currently looks like|